Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why the blog? And why now?

As all of my friends know i'm probably the laziest person around. I've been enamoured with the idea of starting a blog for quite a few years and have serious contemplated the same for the last three. But somehow something or the other made me put it off for - later.

Three people and one event are directly responsible for this blog happening and happening now. My wife Rhea, who has probably been after me to 'get my ass off the ground and get started' for the last couple of years; my friend Gia who just flat out told me 'You've gotta blog, you'll be superb; my old school friend and buddy Nauzer Bharucha  ... who wanted me to blog for the TOI; and finally the last weekend - the Deccan College Alumni Meet.

Whilst, Rhea and Gia were good for my ego, Nauzer gave me a really serious reason ... alas the accompanying disclaimer/contract that the TOI sent me scared my pants off, essentially they were making it clear that I had to toe a line, and if I stepped over it I was on my own. So as usual I gave it a miss. Sorry Nauzer, I owe you a serious apology. The aweful and kinda joyous finality came about thanks to the absoloutely fabulous weekend that I spent with my friend, colleagues, staff and teachers at the Deccan College, Pune where I caught up with old friends, some of which I hadny seen in 19 years and I realised I just had to have a platorm where I could share with them and share them with all my other friends.

The name of the blog is essentially a respectfull reip-off of the book title 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' and is close to my heart cause me and the missus love this kinda wordplay. The specific words though are descriptive of my three great passions. Eats - because I love doing so, experimenting with food from different cuisines, cultures and economic strata; Feeds - because I run a small catering business (Dalal Enterprises) that came out of my mother's and my family's love of feeding folk; and Digs - because my great love, passion, hobby and part-time vocation is Archaeology and all things connected with it.

So folks here I am.

16 comments:

  1. Told Rhea I had finally gotten this baby off the ground and that I planned on a post a day (wishful thinking) .... she was so shocked she fell down as though pole-axed ... luckily the sofa caught her fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking to discover some great stories here

    ReplyDelete
  3. testing..testing..

    you will make a good blog(ger).
    will visit
    subscribe/follow even!

    -Fishy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey good luck on new blog buddy :)... Fizz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally, Kurush! I'm so happy you've taken the plunge. Also kicked that I had a little something to do with it. I'm sure it's going to be one hell of an informative and entertaining run. Cheers to a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Btw, the Google Account option doesn't work when I try to sign in and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, heard a lot about you from my friend and your student Dhwani. Good to see your blog. Looking forward to the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very interesting combo of eats,digs&feeds...looking forward to your posts:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally the world will get to learn and enjoy authentic parsi recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to your blogs... I am sure they will be as interesting as your classes.
    ---Gajendra

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanx guys ... for this warm welcome :)
    here's hoping I can live up to this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. next one is already in .... its about the infamous DC Punch ... the one after that is being written .. right after i post this :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vallakkam!! Vallakkam. Gr8 start - loved the layout, the name and of course, the language.
    - Atanu

    ReplyDelete
  14. Proud and Pleased as PUNCH
    Dad

    ReplyDelete